Thursday 4 March 2010

LIFE HAS KEY MOMENTS

Something you read, a comment you heard, people you’ve met who have influenced your outlook on life.


I’d like to share two of them.


'I have my life all mapped out, but I’ve done it in pencil'


This one is powerful to me, because it sums up my life in a few words. I left school and went to college to train to be an Interior Designer, the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do. My life was on track, I was going to live my dream. In the third of my fourth year I decided to travel home for the weekend on the back of my boyfriends motorbike. We never got there, at least not that night! A lorry came out of a side road and hit us side on, I lost my leg. I was 19, I had my whole future all planned out, and the lorry driver, who wasn’t looking, changed it all in an instant.


I was lucky, I should have been killed, instead I was in a position that altered my life plan.


For better or worse, it happened. I choose to think that it changed me for the better. I became a kinder person. It is amazing to be inside the body of a person with a disability and see how people treat you, the pity, the slight superiority. I dealt with it, I adopted the attitude that if you have a problem with my leg, it’s yours, not mine!


I also learned tolerance, compassion and an inner strength that has carried me through life.


So, my life changed. I dropped out of college, mainly due to the difficulties involved in physically attending, but I still loved my career choice. I built up a business from home, refurbishing houses and hotels, making soft furnishings and, despite the leg, balancing on ladders hanging curtains and pelmets.


I married and had a son, Neil, who is my complete pride and joy.


After 17 years my marriage ended, and I became a single mum and I had to make a better living than I had previously.


I became a sales designer, working for a national bathroom company, designing and selling bathrooms. I did well and I loved it. I moved to another company which did kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms, more scope, and again I loved it and I did well, in an industry dominated by hard nosed salesmen, I stormed it. My first year there I was second in the company and won a trip to the Caribbean, as well as trips to Europe and lots of other incentives.


I was sorted, job for life.


Enter the recession, you’ve heard it all before, and again I rubbed out my plan and started again.


I sort of fell across an opportunity. I read an article from a guy from Newcastle, who in 18 months had gone from living in his mum’s spare room to living in a beach front apartment in the Caymen Islands, living his dream! I wanted to know more, I checked out all I could and it appealed to me, so out came the pencil – Internet Marketer! My experience of computers was basic, I could turn it on and off and send emails. It has been a revelation, so much to learn, so much to understand, but wow, what a trip.


I now mentor and coach others in life and business to become successful, sharing my experience and knowledge, and using a system that means that everyone, regardless of experience can be successful, if they have the will and determination to succeed, because in the end, that’s what life is all about.


It’s about being able to see the opportunities in life and take advantage of situations.


Which brings me back to my key moments.


After the accident I was in hospital, feeling very sorry for myself, a nurse said to me, ‘You have two choices, are you dying to live or are you living to die?’


I made my choice that day.


I’m dying to live and I’ll keep my pencil sharpened so that if things change I can just rub it out and start again.





No comments:

Post a Comment